Glimpses

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Preparing For Class



Everything in its place. The accoutrements that are a part of studying are quite familiar to me; almost an extension of who and what I have become. So the paraphernalia of classroom attire is where it ought to be; gathered neatly beside me as I construct, deconstruct, reiterate and begin my journey on the other side of the classroom.


Memories of my childhood come rushing back to find me, as I toss around the papers and pens. We all play when we are children, and the games we play somewhat define who we are inside, though we are unlikely to see it that way at the time. When my brother and I were young we played together, taking turns with our own idea of what "grown up life" would be like. With cardboard boxes made into stores, and banks, he was the money man, and I the customer. Carefully drawn out lesson plans made him the student and me the teacher. That was over 40 years ago; he is now the CIO of a prosperous business, and I am beginning my career as a professor.
We really do map out our lives, every single day. When we can see that we are in control of the way in which it transforms around us, we can take that extra step toward our goals with clear visions of what we want to accomplish. How much of it is pre-designed when we arrive in this world, I am not sure of; but I am sure that something influences our desire to do what we do, and it is evident to me now that my desire started a long time ago.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments, and constructive criticism is welcome!

“To bring anything into your life, imagine that it's already there.”

- Richard Bach

Blog Awards Received

Blog Awards Received