Glimpses

Friday, February 16, 2007

Hallways and Doors



She watched the doors close abruptly down the long corridor and felt the blood leave her body through the ends of her fingers and toes. The light that shone through the windows while the doors were open swiftly vanished and left her gazing at the length of the familiar hallway through silent tears.
She’d been here before, though it was another lifetime she remembered the walk, the dark, the feeling of being on the inner corridor and listening to the voices on the other sides of closed doors. It felt empty. She felt empty.
She stood there with weights for arms and feet that refused to listen to her pleas to move forward, or to move at all. Her thoughts were amplified inside her head; it was all that she could hear now.
Just a moment ago she was happy, laughing and enjoying the company of a special someone. In an instant the light had been taken from her, the laughter ceased, and he was bound to the other side of the door. She knew if she thought loud enough he would hear her, he would come for her, but this was her journey and she didn’t want to share it with him. Joys were for sharing, but this… this was something she would not wish for anyone.
His voice held her attention for a time; she placed heavy hands against the door to feel his energy from the other side. The darkness swirled around her, causing a dizzying sensation to take over. She could hear the words of a far away song playing:

How can I be sure?
In a world that's constantly changing
how can I be sure?
Where I stand with you

Whenever I
Whenever I am away from you
I wanna die
'cause you know I wanna stay with you

How do I know?
Maybe you're trying to use me
Flying too high can confuse me
Touch me, but don't take me down

Whenever I
Whenever I am away from you
My alibi is telling people
I don't care for you

Maybe I’m just hanging round
With my head up, upside down
It's a pity for you
I can't seem to find somebody new that's as
Wonderful baby as you

How can I be sure?
I really, really, really, wanna know
really, really, wanna know, yeah.

Also whether
Whether or not we're together
Together will seem that much better
I love you, I love you forever
You know where I can be found

How can I be sure
in a world that's constantly changing
How can I be sure,
I'll be sure with you.

The Young Rascals (1967)
Written by: Felix Cavaliere & Eddie Brigati


They both knew there would be consequences, or outcomes whether they chose to do anything or nothing at all. She was willing to do whatever was necessary to keep his soul in the light, and if this was part of it she would find the strength to do it again. There was a part of her that wanted to break the door down, to crush whatever tried to stop her from doing so, but her gift was vision and there was too much at stake to be selfish now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, and constructive criticism is welcome!

“To bring anything into your life, imagine that it's already there.”

- Richard Bach

Blog Awards Received

Blog Awards Received