Glimpses

Friday, February 22, 2013

Window Watching (Friday Fictioneers)

Friday Fictioneer's
…brought to you by: RochelleWisoff . Once a week a photo is submitted for inspiration and a group of writers accept the challenge of writing a 100 word story about it. The following picture was provided to us by Janet Webb ©.
Photo by Janet Webb
 Here is my 100:



Window Watching

History remains in battered walls that bear the weight of weathered years. Whispers bend through cracks that allow the light in. Ungraceful curves disguise charmed endurance with neglect in an attraction of its own.

Charlotte remembers the children that played in the unkempt yard, over a handful of years ago. Quiet replaced the cacophony that represented their presence somewhere in between the raising of her own children and unmeasured moments.

An oval mirror hung near the window she watched from, still keeps track of time; she recognizes the comparison of a white picket smile on both sides of the fence.



See what other Friday Fictioneers have written!
 
     

31 comments:

  1. a white picket smile on both sides of the fence....my favorite line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can see the visual while I am writing... this line was one of them that spoke to me.

      Delete
  2. I really like your first paragraph and I like the idea (which I share) of history being part of buildings.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that when I went by your page and read your Friday offerings. Thank you Janet!

      Delete
  3. I liked this, and the thought they she still watches and remembers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the vision of her looking out the window, with the mirror right beside her, that prompted this write. Thank you for enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. Interesting prose here, verging on poetry. Beautiful, and I wonder about that white picket smile. My favourite lines are the beginning, but the first paragraph is particularly beautiful - and this line, sublime: Ungraceful curves disguise charmed endurance with neglect in an attraction of its own.
    Nice to meet you,
    Lindaura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the response Linda. I appreciate the specific feedback.

      Nice to meet you too.

      Delete
  5. The first line read like poetry. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear K,
    Quiet replaced the cacophony...hard hitting and stark contrast with subtlety. Overall, an enjoyably descriptive piece.
    shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet recognition of the world that changes but the interconnected memories that linger on. Quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you do with words k~, quite jealous in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous? m'Friend your work wanders with words in your own way, all the time. Moving people's hearts and thoughts with the way you set them afoot.

      Thank you t~

      Delete
  9. First line, sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i absolutely love the brilliance in your first and last lines. a very descriptive tale. a very good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :-) I love the name you have chosen for yourself - it made me giggle.

      Delete
  11. Very nice. Loved that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the alliteration on w in the beginning,,this text sings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brudberg. I enjoy playing with words, and it is much more fun when others enjoy it with me.

      Delete
  13. Lots of memories in old buildings

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's like a prose poem. As many others have said - that first line shines! And the white picket smile. But the mood of the piece with its nostalgia and melancholy is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie :-) I have a tendency to lean toward poetic lines... sometimes that's a good thing, and others, it's not.
      k~

      Delete

I appreciate your comments, and constructive criticism is welcome!

“To bring anything into your life, imagine that it's already there.”

- Richard Bach

Blog Awards Received

Blog Awards Received